New York/Manhattan Accident Injury Lawsuit Verdicts & Settlements
- $6,300,000 awarded for Canadian Securities Broker killed in Tower 1 collapse. The third highest award by the Special Master to the widow of a Canadian Securities Broker, then living in Manhattan, killed in the collapse of Tower 1 arising out of the events of September 11th, 2001. The clients were married for 4 years and had no children. This case was handled proudly, without fee and without expense to the client, as part of the Trial Lawyers Care program. Mr. Peskin is a founding member and Vice-President of Trial Lawyers Care, Inc.
- $4,300,000 obtained for a 4-year-old child and his parents from Turkey. The child came to a well-known hospital in New York City from his native country of Turkey for diagnostic testing. As a result of the test he sustained severe brain injuries due to lack of oxygen while under anesthesia. The unique part of this case is that the child and parents were here on a visitor’s visa and spoke almost no English. We obtained extensions on their visa status and while the child remained in the hospital for over one year, the parents were given living accommodations, food allowances and were sent to school to learn English. These items were in addition to the money settlement.
- $2,250,000 obtained for a Virginia chef who was electrocuted. The chef working in an exclusive Manhattan restaurant suffered only minor injuries as a result of the burns, however, it was determined that he suffered major brain damage which was not apparent immediately after the accident. The electric shock affected the nerves and cells of the brain so that his short-term memory, sense of taste and smell were destroyed, and his cognitive ability was similarly injured.
- $1,475,000 awarded to Manhattan woman pinned against the rear bumper of her car as she was unloading the trunk. The case is an excellent example of the importance of having sufficient insurance. The plaintiff suffered a partial severance of her leg below the knee. Fortunately the expert medical care that she received saved her leg and she now has complete mobility, but horrific scarring. The offending car had only $100,000 in insurance which was promptly tendered. The plaintiff carried under-insurance of $1.5 Million. The under-insurance company was entitled to a set off for the first $100,000 from the offending car, and then added $1.375 million of its own. Under-Insurance is an inexpensive item on your total auto insurance bill and should be purchased for as much as you can possibly afford. Please see “Automobile Insurance”.
- $1,300,000 obtained for a semi retired NY businessman. The man was hit by a NYC bus while crossing on a Manhattan street. He suffered a skull fracture and developed meningitis.
- $900,000 awarded to a 30 year old Westchester school teacher who was driving on Rte 9W in Rockland County when a drunk driver’s Range Rover crossed over the double yellow line and struck her head on. She was required to undergo three surgeries to repair her elbow.
- $850,000 recovery for death of a Massapequa, Long Island homemaker who underwent gastric bypass surgery and developed a post-operative infection which was improperly treated by her surgeon and the hospital.
- $700,000 obtained by New Jersey elevator mechanic after fall. Awarded after trial but before verdict to an elevator mechanic who fell through the roof of an elevator car that he was working on when the escape door on the roof collapsed under him. He suffered a ruptured biceps tendon and a torn rotator cuff in his dominant right arm.
- $600,000.00 awarded to an 87 year old Manhattan women struck by a car on Broadway. Driver denied contact, witnesses proved otherwise.
- $550,000 recovery for a Rochester, New York child brain injured at birth due to failure to perform timely cesarian section. After prolonged, and unattended labor by hospital staff, abnormal fetal heart tracings and indications of the need for an immediate delivery, the obstetrician failed to act in a timely manner.
- $450,000 recovery for a 37 year old HIV positive and bi-polar New York City woman who underwent hysterectomy for cervical cancer and suffered vesicovaginal fistula with bladder incontinence for five years requiring multiple surgical repairs.
- $450,000 awarded in the death of a 70 year old Inwood grandmother who was killed when struck by a school bus when her foot got caught in a pothole in the crosswalk as she crossed a Manhattan street.
- $425,000 for retired Manhattan concert pianist. A retired Manhattan concert pianist was awarded $425,000.00 for her injuries when struck by a car while crossing Broadway in a crosswalk with the light in her favor. Court granted summary judgment on liability when testimony of the police officer placed the client within the crosswalk refuting the statement of the driver that the pedestrian was outside of the crosswalk.
- $225,000 Harlem Parks Department employee recovers $225,000 after injuring his back on a Staten Island ferry boat, which crashed into a pier at the St. George Terminal.
- $200,000 awarded to a 63 year old Greenwich Village bicyclist struck by a car from behind as he rode to work. The plaintiff needed a total knee replacement.
- $200,000 recovery for an experienced long distance Manhattan bicyclist riding in Orange County when the front wheel of his custom made bicycle went into an uncontrollable shimmy causing him to fall sustaining injuries to his hand and shoulder.
- $166,000 obtained after trial for two Upper West Side women who suffered psychological injuries when the ceiling of a coffee shop collapsed. They were pinned in the rubble for a period of time.
- $90,000 won for a retired Manhattan telephone operator whose leg was broken while crossing a Manhattan street.
For additional cases of interest visit our New York lawsuit verdicts & settlements overview page.
Tolmage, Peskin, Harris, Falick
Manhattan Personal Injury Attorneys
New York, NY 10007
If you need representation in an accident injury case, contact a Manhattan accident injury lawsuit attorney at the law firm of Tolmage, Peskin, Harris, Falick today. Our Manhattan lawyers offer a FREE consultation so you can have the opportunity to discuss your case without cost or obligation.