Tenants at 89 E. 116 St. in Harlem are upset about the shoddy cleanup of their apartments following a fatal gas explosion last month. The tenants have filed suit against their landlord and New York City, complaining that toxic lead paint hazards were not mitigated before tenants were told it was safe to return home.
An explosion collapsed two buildings and sent smoke billowing throughout Harlem Wednesday morning.
The New York Times published an interesting piece about the man who recently died in a bicycle-bus collision on West 125th Street in Harlem. Victim Pedro Santiago, 45, was an ambitious Mexican immigrant who made friends from all walks of life. He wanted to become an engineer, and took classes at Columbia and Hofstra Universities. He regularly sent money back to family members in Mexico.
Parents know that there's no shortage of dangers they need to protect their children from, but sometimes harm can come from unobvious sources. A fatal accident in Harlem provides a heart-wrenching illustration of how this can happen.